Take advantage of the numerous landscapes along the Loire à Vélo cycle trail to vary between the Loire and the ocean, among other delights! Here’s our suggestion for a 2-day cycle trip on the coast... Ready to go?
You can drive to the charming seaside resort of Saint-Brevin-les-Pins, or take the train to Saint-Nazaire and a taxi to Saint-Brevin-les-Pins. Rent a bicycle here from an Accueil Vélo-approved bike rental outlet.
Set off by bicycle towards Paimboeuf on the Loire à Vélo cycle trail. Along the way, you’ll come across the fisheries by the water’s edge. This section of the trail runs along the Loire River.
Stop for lunch in the small harbour of Paimboeuf. The harbour offers a charming view of the estuary.
Walk off your lunch in Le Jardin Étoilé by Kinya Maruyama, an Estuary art work on the river bank. Continue through the tiny laneways of Paimboeuf, and stop to take a photo of the houses with their colourful facades.
You can also enjoy a boat trip from Paimboeuf lighthouse to the north bank and its channels, to discover the former islands of the Loire!
Return to Saint-Brevin-les-Pins via the same route which alternates between river and sea, and spend the night in listed ‘Accueil Vélo’ accommodation, with campsite, guest houses or hotels to choose from.
A host of activities awaits you for this second day in the seaside resort:
– A walk along the beach: breathe in the sea air, see far into the distance and enjoy the open space!
– Still on the beach, at the very tip, the Estuary art work Serpent de mer, by Chinese artist Huang Yong, is visible depending on the tides. It represents a huge sea serpent whose skeleton emerges as though from an archaeological dig. You can take photographs of the work at low tide.
– A trip through the pine trees, it’s not called Saint-Brevin-les-Pins for nothing! Cycle through tree-lined streets and breathe in the sweet scent of pine.
– Water sports for the most active: leave your bike aside and try out stand-up paddle, flyboarding, kitesurfing, windsurfing and much more! Vogue et Vague (Vogue and Wave) also offers a range of activities to try out.
– Relaxing activities: sandcastle building, swimming, relaxing with a book on the beach, etc., the sandy beach of Saint-Brevin-les-Pins is the ideal spot for gentle activities to the rhythm of the tides and the sea breeze.
Cycling tour: you can also continue your trip by bicycle along the Vélodyssée trail to Saint-Michel-Chef-Chef for example, to discover its fisheries, beautiful beaches and the shop specialising in the famous local delicacy, the Saint-Michel biscuit…The choice is all yours.