During the French Revolution, like many neighboring towns, Saint Laurent-des-Autels suffered the passage of the “infernal columns” on 16 and 17 March 1794. 230 people were tragically killed and buried quickly in several mass graves. One of these pits, at 1 km from the town, was built in 1878, the Chapel of the Martyrs, blessed by Monseigneur Freppel, Bishop of Angers on June 2nd 1879. Open Wednesdays, Saturdays, Sundays, holidays and that during the Christmas period from 9 am to 7 pm. A soundtrack presents the history of the chapel in minutes. A subscription allows the restoration of the building with the help of the Heritage Foundation in 2014-2015.

Period (s) Morning Afternoon Opening day Closing day

  • Historic site and monument category
  • Chapel

Join by public transport