Numerous cities along La Loire à Vélo (Orléans, Blois, Amboise, Tours, Saumur, Angers, Nantes etc.) have excellent road connections.
Where to find long stay parking to leave your car
- Contact the nearest Tourist Office to your point of departure or the first place you stay, where they will be able to provide you with information.
- Some Accueil Vélo accommodation reserves spaces (optional criteria) for long stay parking (parking space or garage – free or charged) for vehicles belonging to cycle tourers.
- You can view and locate some long stay car parks on the interactive map on the website.
You can easily access cities along La Loire à Vélo via the TGV, Intercité and TER train lines. The following cities can be reached by TGV high-speed trains: Saint-Pierre-des-Corps, Tours, Angers, Nantes and Saint-Nazaire. You will find all the train stations on the itinerary on the interactive map.
Transporting your bike on the train
1 – Folded or dismantled, stowed in a bag
Standard bikes are allowed free of charge on all SNCF trains, provided they are folded or dismantled and stowed in a bag (maximum dimensions: 120cm height by 90cm width), subject to availability of space. In these cases, the bike is considered as hand luggage and no booking is required.
Only standard bikes are allowed on trains. It is not permitted to transport recumbent bicycles, tricycles, tandems or trailers of any kind.
2 – Not folded or dismantled
- On TER regional trains: transport is free of charge with no booking required, subject to availability of space. Check the conditions for transporting bikes on TER trains according to the region.
- Pays de la Loire : www.ter.sncf.com/pays-de-la-loire/gares/pap/velos-a-bord-trains
- Centre – Val de Loire : www.ter.sncf.com/centre-val-de-loire/loisirs/tourisme-en-train/conditions-transport-velos
It is advisable to avoid peak times on TER trains from Monday to Friday in the morning between 7am and 9am and in the evening between 5pm and 7pm.
- Booking is required on some INTERCITÉS lines: €5 or €10 / bike according to the line.
- On TGV trains: transporting bikes is only allowed on certain TGVs. The service is charged (€10 /bike) and booking is required. It must be made at the time of purchasing the train ticket. (https://www.oui.sncf)
- Train Loire à Vélo: Benefit from the free bike transport service in specially designated coaches from June to September on the Orléans – Le Croisic train line.
Find all the information on conditions for transporting bikes on trains here: https://en.oui.sncf/en/
If you click on “journey details” during your search for prices and availability, a note will appear telling you whether the train you have selected allows bikes on board, and if the service is free of charge or paying.
3 – Bikes transported by an SNCF service or private company
- The SNCF proposes a door-to-door luggage service. To find out all the modalities of this service, go to https://bagages.oui.sncf – (Maximum weight per luggage: 25 kg)
- Some private companies will transport your bike between two cities along the itinerary. You will find them in “Luggage, bikes and passenger transport”
La Loire à Vélo is also easy to get to by plane via the following airports:
- Nantes Atlantique
- Tours – Val de Loire
and via Paris airports:
- Roissy-Charles-De-Gaulle + direct TGV train to Tours, Angers, Nantes, Saint-Nazaire
- Orly + Ouibus journey to Orléans (120 km)
Transporting your bike on the plane
Most airline companies allow bikes as hold luggage, but each one has their own has their own rules. Check the information for your company when you book.
Below is some general information about transporting bikes:
- Many airlines require bikes to be enclosed in a bag or more solid case. Packing cardboard may be supplied, depending on the airline. It is important to check information in advance so that you are not caught out at the airport. Packaging can also be bought in cycling or sports equipment stores.
- It is best to remove or tuck in the pedals and take off the front wheel to attach it to the frame. In some cases, tyres must also be deflated.
- Weight is also taken into consideration and policies vary according to the company.
- If you are flying with your bike, you will have to pay an extra luggage fee. The cost varies from between €45 and €200 according to the destination.
Most towns and cities along La Loire à Vélo have daily bus services (Ouibus, Flixbus, Isilines etc.)
Some coach companies allow bikes to be transported in the hold. Check the conditions for transporting bikes on your coach when you book.
You will find information on cities on the lines, times and prices at:
Are you travelling by public transport? Consider hiring a bike!
On La Loire à Vélo, you can hire your bike in one city and return it in your city of arrival. See the list of hire agencies at : “Hiring a bike”